A delicious treat, and when the menfolk are having
playdate poker game, it gives the garage the “bar food” ambiance their friends find so impressive.
FYI- if you are going to feed your menfolk copious amount of spicy pickled eggs, make sure they are immediately leaving the house for camping or will be sleeping outside the following evening.
I like to use the bantam (miniature) chicken eggs for pickled eggs. They are bite-sized, and an excellent use of the little eggs I don’t sell to customers.
You can use any brine recipe you want: I like mine a little spicy.
Pickled Egg Brine:
- 18 bantam eggs, boiled
- 1 1/2 cups vinegar (apple cider vinegar is good too)
- 1 1/2 cups water
- 1 tablespoon cumin
- 6 cloves of garlic, chopped
- 1 teaspoon dried Habanero flakes
- 1 tablespoon pepper corns
- bay leaves
- Over medium heat, mix together the vinegar, water and spices. Bring to a boil and mix in the garlic and bay leaf. Remove from heat.
- Transfer peeled eggs to sterile jar. Fill the containers with the hot vinegar mixture, seal.
- Refrigerate at least a week before serving.